"Drummerheads" #01/2010 Interview to Gustav! (EN)

Of the German magazine, "Drummerheads!!" an interview with Gustav comes. It is always amazing to listen what the calmest member of Tokio Hotel has to say, no?

Because the musicians were very young, many experts were not suspecting that the advance of Tokio Hotel would keep on increasing.
Four years later, the band covered the world and reached a new award after other.
Instead of rumors Gustav speaks about what means to be the drummer of the group #1 in Germany.

Drumheads: From child you were thrown to the reputation of the big stages. Do you feel that from this, you have become surer?

Gustav Schafer: I believe that I will never be sure. Before a show I am always nervous and I always commit errors somewhere here and over there. But even the big ones as Chad Smith and Danny Carey are wrong sometimes, that is normal. But the one who is not thrilled before 13, 000 persons and touches perfectly, in my opinion, is not a real drummer.

Drumheads: What is the thing that more thrills you of being the one that play the battery and is always seat behind?

Gustav Schafer: I believe that it is brilliant to be up in the fund and that most of the people do not even know the weight that relapses into the shoulders of the drummer. Surely, the same happens with other musicians in the stage, but when the drummer dies, the song is ruined. Someone said to me once that the drummer is the mechanism behind the band. It is the one that marks the rule and they all relapse on him.

Drumheads: What is the most important thing in a concert of Tokio Hotel from the point of view of the drummer?

Gustav Schäfer: First of all, he have to know all the songs, and I know them! Sometimes I prefer to touch them in alive that to record them for the CD. With our new album we have had a big change, because also we have a lot of programmed rhythms. In spite of that, I play them of a different way in alive that in the study and with regard to our new album, will be a big change. We have a lot of programmed rhythms. In spite of that, it is like any other band. The drummer only sits down and enjoys.

Drumheads: What is your favorite song to play in the stage?

Gustav Schäfer: It changes constantly. I am a fan of the heavy rhythms. Now, I am very happy to play "Komm" or the version in English "Noise" and "Für immer jetzt" or "Forever Now".
These songs are very agreeable of playing and they have good pressure in the front of the stage.

Drumheads: What skills in the battery would you like improving and that you do to achieve it?

Gustav Schäfer: Unfortunately, when we travel we have a little time for the exercises that I have in mind. This for me is a defect, there are the rapid fills. I always manage them to ruin them and not to do the double blows. Although it sounds more brilliant on the contrary! Or I always strike the Dinger and do not do double blows. I believe that I have always touched like that and nobody has complained till now.

Drumheads: How long do you practise when you find a time between all these interviews and signatures?

Gustav Schäfer: When finally I have time to go to the study, I practic more or less four or five hours with small rests in the way. Then, I am already ready.

Drumheads: What has changed for you in the recording study for this new album compared to the previous ones?

Gustav Schäfer: I have recorded in "Humanoid" some parts with e-pads. The devices are surprising. For me it was a completely new experience. In alive also I will touch some things with these devices.

Drumheads: What difficulties do you have to overcome during the recording meetings?

Gustav Schäfer: Sometimes it is really exasperating, I want that everything goes out well in a song. Sometimes I see in the faces of our producers and of my band that is too much. But when I listened to the capture and we sit down in the set I say to myself: "Sometimes, less it is more, idiot"

Drumheads: Can you imagine never again to touch the ramrods some day when Tokio Hotel dissapear?

Gustav Schäfer: No! I began to play the battery when I was four or five years old. In the primary there were other interesting things. But for me never like the battery. My father had noticed that. Once we were in one concert of Genesis, we look at the masses and he said to me: "Gustav, practises, practises, practise, if you want to go there." Probably this is what has helped me to come so far.

0 comentarios:

 
©2009 Tokio Hotel Europe | by TNB